Overview:This is a 4-day 3-night guided walk along the most spectacular section of the famous Heysen Trail along the Fleurieu Peninsula just 90 minutes south of Adelaide. The walk commences at Cape Jervis and concludes at Victor Harbour. Each night we return to the comfort of the Deep Creek Homestead for a delicious meal made from locally sourced ingredients. Average distance is 12 km over 5 hours including morning tea, lunch and trail interpretation.
Day 1 - Cape Jervis to Deep Creek
Approximate walking time 5 hours.
Our journey commences at Cape Jervis, starting point of the iconic Heysen Trail, one of the world's great walking trails and at 1200km the longest dedicated track in Australia. An easy introduction along a gently undulating shoreline leads to Fisheries Beach and a series of coves tucked away along the trail. Winter streams run their course out to the Southern Ocean which will be our companion for most of the way. Elevated vantage points offer majestic views over Backstairs Passage, a narrow shipping lane between the main land and Kangaroo Island that is known for its challenging currents.
We slowly work our way towards Deep Creek Conservation Park where the landscape transforms from open grass lands into dense sclerophyll forests. A highlight is the descent on to Blow Hole Beach with its sparkling waters. From here we climb to Cobbler Hill for a short transfer to our accommodation in Deep Creek where pre-dinner drinks await.
Day 2 - Exploring Deep Creek
Approximate walking time 5.5 hours
After a hearty breakfast we pick up the trail from Cobbler Hill and make our way across Aaron Creek and Tent Rock Creek to the main water course after which the Park was named. As the trail meanders from open woodlands to thick bushland with ancient grass trees and wildflowers the majesty of nature soon dawns. Yes, the many hues of native flora provide a rich palette of colours in this unspoiled landscape. The sheltered gully of Deep Creek leads us to the year-round waterfall where we stop for lunch.
The soothing sound of upstream waters cascading over ancient rock formations is a tonic to the soul. After taking in our share of this elixir we gradually climb up to Tapanappa Ridge where a welcoming committee of Western Grey Kangaroos will oblige for cameras against a panoramic backdrop of the Southern Ocean.
Day 3 - Deep Creek to Tunkalilla Beach
Approximate walking time 4.5 hours
The starting point for today begins with 180' views from Tapanappa Ridge towards the edge of the horizon. As you cast your eye across this open expanse the thought occurs that there is nothing but open water between here and Antarctica. Fill your lungs with the fresh air rolling in from the Southern Ocean. It's among the cleanest you'll find anywhere on earth.
The panoramic views of the Pages Islands and Kangaroo Island are exchanged for a sheltered path that meanders through Pink Gum forests. Suddenly, the roar of the ocean is a distant memory and finches dart across our path. As we make our way towards Boat Harbour the vegetation opens once more to reveal a secluded cove where dolphins are a common sight. Here, we leave Deep Creek Conservation Park as the Heysen Trail takes us to Tunkalilla Beach, a remote and very scenic wilderness of sand and surf.
Day 4 - Newland Head Conservation Park
Approximate walking time 5.5 hours
The final leg of our journey introduces us to the striking cliff face of Newland Conservation Park. Our day begins with a commanding view of Parsons Beach from where we follow the shoreline to Waitpinga Beach.
This secluded wilderness presents the last chance to take off those boots and feel the sand beneath your feet as ocean waves crash just metres away. Walk along the expansive stretch of beach and experience the magic of the sea's invigorating powers.
A short climb leads to the Newland Cliffs where photo opportunities abound. Keep an eye out for white-bellied sea eagles that breed along this stretch of coast. The trail gradually descends all the while hugging the coastline as we reach King Beach just outside Victor Harbour.
- 4 day walk departing Adelaide.
- 3 nights accommodation at the Deep Creek Homestead.
- All transfers (pick-up and return to Adelaide).
- All meals and beverages.
- Experienced guides and trail interpretation
Why not add Pre or Post night accommodation at the 5-star Mayfair Hotel from an extra $149* per person
Airfares are additional and can be arranged by your Travel Associates Adviser to suit your travel plans.
Duration: 4 days
Travel Dates: Selected travel dates 5 April - 30 September 2021
Expiry Date: This deal expires on the 30th Sep 2020
- The following product terms and conditions apply in addition to our Booking Terms and Conditions (available on our website) and terms and conditions of the relevant travel service provider.
- Prices quoted valid for sale until 30 September 2020 for travel during the period specified (if applicable) unless otherwise stated or sold out prior.
- All prices are per person (unless otherwise stated), subject to availability and may be withdrawn or varied without notice. Accommodation (if included) is based on twin share unless otherwise stated.
- Advertised price includes bonus nights and/or stated saving (if applicable).
- Please be aware that during these evolving times of the COVID-19 pandemic all Hotels, Resorts and Tours advertised will be subject to availability and re-opening schedule changes. Additional supplier conditions and travel restrictions may apply. Please enquire for further details.
- Airfare (including internal flights) is not included unless otherwise stated and, if included, is economy class unless otherwise stated.
- Components of the total price including local payments, "resort fees", "national park fees", "trip kitties" and food funds (if applicable) may be payable direct to the supplier on arrival or to your travel consultant prior to your departure. Where applicable, these payments are included in the total price quoted.
- Gratuities are not included unless otherwise stated.
- Prices shown are fully inclusive of taxes, levies and government charges current at the time of publication.
- Additional levies, government charges & other applicable fees, including additional taxes, surcharges and visa fees specific to your departure date or flight routing, may apply and are beyond our control.
- Seasonal surcharges and blackout dates may apply depending on date of travel.
- Prices shown are for payments made by cash in store or by BPAY.
- Payments made in store by credit card will incur a surcharge (see Booking Terms and Conditions for further details).
- Prices quoted are based on cheapest available at time of advertising and may be higher depending on date of purchase and date of travel. Please enquire for further details..